Thursday, August 12, 2010

Anything to Avoid that Megawatt Smile!


When Julia Roberts first appeared as a new ascending movie star, I liked her. Like the rest of the world did. I think I was OK with her through "Erin Brockovich", which is not only her greatest performance but also a fantastic showcase of her charisma. Since then though I've been just blah about her. The 'Ocean' movies did not help. And I have skipped her last two movies despite the somewhat positive buzz for "Duplicity".

I think I have "the underdog syndrome". Once stars become big, I avoid them. These days I can't stand watching any movie with Tom Hanks. And I loved Splash, way back in the day. Similarly I will be avoiding that huge smile this weekend. I am hoping I will not see coming at me from every channel on TV and every magazine cover on the racks. Hide!

2 comments:

Candice Frederick said...

you know, i haven't like much of her recent work, but damn if she doesn't have that star quality. i respect that about her. she glows onscreen. i really think theat eat pray love will remind her fans--like me--why we fell in love with her to begin with.

Simon said...

She made Duplicity make sense for those five minutes everyone wasn't talking or having sex.