Friday, July 5, 2013

She demands our attention! Elizabeth Debicki in The Great Gatsby

Debicki in The Great Gatsby


So far in 2013 there have been a few performances that I liked. But there has only been one that made me sit up straight in my seat almost shouting "Who's that?” That is Elizabeth Debicki in The Great Gatsby. It is a combination of having not seen her in anything before plus a certain screen magnetism that heralded in my mind that a star was born. 

She gallops across the screen as Jordan Baker and authoritatively demands our attention. She whole heartedly got mine. In fact I missed her a lot when Jordan was off screen. She reminded me of Cate Blanchett in The Talented Mr. Ripley – that same haughty confidence. And if you know the high regard I have for the great Cate, you know that is no faint praise. Coincidently she is now on stage in Sydney co-starring with Blanchett in The Maids.

I expect great things soon.


Debicki as herself at Gatsby premiere in Cannes



No comments: