Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sondheim Saturday - Losing My Mind from Follies


Follies is my favorite of all Sondheim's plays. I consider seeing the 2011 Broadway revival with Bernadette Peters and Jan Maxwell one of the best , if not outright best, theatrical experiences I've had.

It's such a beautiful, sad, haunting piece. Who else but the genius Sondheim could write such an exquisite and poignant piece about disappointment. His characters are all haunted by their past, mired in memories and in an emotional free fall. Yet they are transfixing and above all distinctly human.

The play has so many songs that became standards from "Broadway Baby" to "Too Many Mornings" to "I'm Still Here". Yet the one I feel deep in my heart is "Losing My Mind'. Someone's whole life story is told beautifully and emphatically in a few minutes. Here's Peters' haunting version from that revival I witnessed.


No comments: