Here are my ratings in the 4 acting categories, from most favourite to least. Let's start with the ladies:
Best Supporting Actress:
1. Viola Davis.Emotional and brilliant.
2. Penelope Cruz. Genius:-)
3. Taraji P Henson. She's so cute!
4. Amy Adams. Adorable.
5. Marisa Tomei. Good performance but misogynist role.
1. Meryl Streep. Excellent actorly "turn".
2. Anne Hathaway.Annoying but heartbreaking.
3. Kate Winslet. She can do no wrong but not a great movie.
4. Melissa Leo.Don't know what all the fuss is about. She didn't elevate her co-star Misty Upham's performance, which was just amateurish
5. Angelina Jolie. Didn't see it but looks histrionic in the trailers.
Best Supporting Actor:
1. Heath Ledger.Couldn't take my eyes off of him when on screen.
2. Josh Brolin.Brought a despicable character to life and gave him pathos
3. Robert Downey Jr. Very funny.
4. Michael Shannon.A little bit over the top.
5. Phillip Seymour Hoffman.Don't like the actor cause he's so full of himself but good performance.
1. Sean Penn. No words can describe my favourite performance of the year, but here goes. Heartfelt, brilliant, full of emotion, funny, lovable, soulful.
2. Richard Jenkins. Fantastic in a fantastic movie.
3. Mickey Rourke. Excellent in a so-so movie.
4. Brad Pitt. Gorgeous in a role that fit him like a glove since he didn't have to emote much.
5. Frank Langella. Another actorly "turn", but this time way over the top.