Monday, December 7, 2009
5 Random Thoughts about "Up in the Air".
"Up in the Air' is a major player in the year end Awards game. And deservedly so. A movie that is completely of this year and this time. But is also a complex character study of three fascinating fictional people. And it is full of smaller characters that make it just a little bit better.
1. Everyone is saying that George Clooney is the quintessential movie star here. Affable, charming, sexy and irresistible. They are right. But more than that he makes this despicable character very very likable. Even the scenes that would be awkward with another actor are easy on the audience with George.
2. Why isn't Vera Farmiga a major movie star yet? She should be and I think after this she will be. Here she is warm, witty and oh so very sexy. But more than that, she holds the screen, I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She made every scene she was in more alive. She played off Clooney fantastically well, they should work together again. Very soon.
3. Anna Kendrick is deservedly getting accolades for her performance. She was no Vera to me, but held her own. She got to deliver a lot of very emotional scenes and was great. Wound a little too much though.
4. The scene between Vera and Anna where they play two sides of the same person: the young mid 20s who's full of dreams and the mature mid 30s who has seen it all and is ready to compromise. What a fantastically well written and acted scene. Worth the price of admission on its own.
5. The ending. Not a fan. Also the montages with real people, kinda hit and miss. I didn't like the underlying message I got: if you don't have a nuclear family you're basically fucked.
All in all a great movie. Definitely check it out.